Monday, February 3, 2014

Winter Wonderland



As the drive from Reno commenced, I grew increasingly concerned about the fluctuating weather in the Eastern Sierras. Nonetheless, I was looking forward to enjoying another weekend of climbing. Unfortunately, my optimism failed me. As I approached the Nevada/California border, the road was scattered with snow and chains were recommended to continue forth on US-395 South. Perplexed, I took my chances and continued on my way without chains hoping my optimism wouldn't fail me again. After four hours of snow, sleet, and ice, we finally reached our destination. Bishop. After an expeditious stop in town, we headed out for the boulders.


On route to Bishop from Reno
A break from driving in Lee Vining displays the ice buildup from the road.
Ice melting off the rear bumper 


Gratitude
-The quality or feeling of being grateful or thankful.
As we approached the Buttermilks, I was hopeful it would not be snowed in. Unfortunately, It was much colder than I anticipated and the areas I wanted to climb were littered with snow. Dales Camp was officially snowed in and climbing would not be permitted. After my initial bewilderment, I began to appreciate my surroundings rather than vent my frustrations with the weather (snow). I was grateful to be in such a beautiful place surrounded by great people. Hell, I began to be grateful for the snow. After all, we NEED it. It was a great relief to see winter in full effect. It was definitely a much-needed snowfall. The weather enabled me to be thankful for the unique range of climbing Bishop has to offer. Climbing or not, Bishop is and always will be a special place to many, including myself.
View of Mt. Tom from the campsite in the Buttermilks. 
Colin Green on Robinson's Rubber Tester, v0
Walking along Buttermilk Road on an overcast day.

Open-Mindedness
-Receptive to new and different ideas or the opinions of others.
Neglecting the fact that we were unable to climb in Dales camp, we set out for the Buttermilks main area where we would certainly get the opportunity to climb on dry rock. Everyday we ventured out to climb problems that we have always walked passed or have never taken the time to attempt. Try taking an open-minded approach to climbing anything and everything on your next trip. Forget about grades, even if it’s "too hard” or "too easy". Disregarding grades and climbing because it's what you love is a blast. It helps to remind you why you climb. It’s fun, challenging, motivating, and humbling. There is and always will be something to be learned with each attempt on every climb you try. Each climb has it’s own unique challenges and obstacles that you must overcome. Overcoming the obstacles with each climb is extremely rewarding and worth every effort. Grades are insignificant.
Tabitha Enanoria on Cave Route, v6 

Matt Haig working on Sharma Traverse, v10
Jacob Padilla on Monkey Dihedral, v2


Climbing easy/moderate climbs was an extremely humbling experience; I'm more motivated to climb than I have ever been before. Leaving Bishop with many unclimbed boulders is a fascinating feeling. Before walking past a boulder, take the time to appreciate the climb for what it is. Don't walk passed them ever again. There are lessons to be learned. Happy climbing.

Photos courtesy of:
Jacob Padilla
Instagram - Jacob Padilla
Email - padillajkub@gmail.com

Please note that I am not a writer, photographer, or professional climber.  I’m the average climber with an opinion, like you. All feedback, questions, and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

-Jacob Padilla




No comments:

Post a Comment